Pages

D.I.Y. Play-Doh

When I got married seven years ago, one of the most precious gifts I received was a collection of recipes from both sides of our families.  In the back of this treasured recipe collection my mom wrote out her trusty recipe for Play-Doh (and you know it's the real deal because she's a preschool teacher!).  She left this note along with the recipe...

"I'm sorry but I have to think of the grandkids" - Mom

Well, Ma, thanks for the recipe.  Today I'm sharing it with the world.

DIY Play Doh


DIY Play-Doh

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 t cream of tartar
2 packages of Kool Aid (don't use purple, it turns grey)
1 T oil
1 cup water

Cook all ingredients over medium heat until it forms a ball (5-10 minutes).  That's it!

You can  enhance the colors by using food coloring if you like.  My mom does (I always seem to forget) and her Play-Doh is fantastically bright.  I love that the Kool-Aid makes the Play-Doh smell amazing!

August crafts 023


Junebug and I have had hours of fun over the past few weeks playing with Play-Doh.  I think of it as stress relief for the two of us.  Afternoons tend to be the time where Junebug and I butt heads the most--but if we sit down with some Play-Doh, the tension eases.  My gal pal Suzanne dropped by after work a few weeks ago and ended up sitting down with a handful of Play-Doh--so it's totally stress relief for big people, too!

August crafts 030


We like to press shells into the dough and make "fossils" and cookie cutters are an excellent way to learn shapes.  I bought the cuh-yoot alligator rolling pin at Target for $3.99.  They don't have it online (unfortunately) but it is still available in the baking supply section of the stores.

August crafts 032


I think a pretty jar of homemade Play-Doh and a lovely tot-sized rolling pin would be an excellent gift idea for a little one.  Agree?

If you want more fun ideas for kiddos, check out my "Fun For the Kiddo" Pinboard

Tristin Signature

9 comments:

  1. Love the idea of kool aid in the play doh! And your little girls hair is so precious...love those little curls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so handy! does it even smell the same?! I love the smell and I'm 20 years old haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. I used to make this for my daughters when they were little. They have long ago outgrown playdough, but I teach 4th grade and have wanted to make some for my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post. I love seeing our girl playing with her play dough and you know that playing with play dough strengthens fine motor muscles that are used for writing.

    Also, the recipe doubles and triples nicely if you need a big batch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you on C.R.A.F.T., and I just LOVE what you did. My hubby banned play-doh in the house because he hates the smell. Maybe this will make him change his mind!

    By the way, I am hosting a giveaway right now & would love to have you check it out!

    http://sunla-designs.blogspot.com/search/label/Giveaways

    Lisa!
    Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog, and would love to have a go at the play-doh but live in the UK and have no idea what Kool Aid is!!
    Also - was wondering about measurements - 1 T of oil, is that a teaspoon or tablespoon?
    many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous... Kool-Aid is a powdered juice drink here in the States that you add your own sugar to. I'm not sure what the UK equivalent would be. And the "T" is tablespoon. Here in the States if it is an upper-case T then it is tablespoon and a lower-case 't' is a teaspoon.

    Also, this is an awesome recipe! I used it for many years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, love yue blog and really want to try out this recipe, but we dont have kool-aid here in u.a.e. can i use something else and how much should i use ? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I just made some with my 4 year old and 2 year old... we have the same roller, but had never used it before. It works so well for the play doh. This recipe smells so delicious, and I love the fact that you can come up with your own colors! So much fun, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We cherish your questions, comments, and love. If you're not a fan, why not find something you do love and leave some love there?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...